At Selby College, we provide a high quality, confidential, impartial, and supportive Careers Advice and Guidance service. This is open to all students when they start at the college and when they leave us, and further support is available through their study, with drop in sessions and booked appointments.
Selby College’s Careers Service helps students plan their future and find out the possible options available and suitable to their skills and aspirations. We encourage our students to achieve their full potential and to reach their careers goals. A variety of advice is available, depending on the student’s personal requirements; including university, apprenticeships, employment and more. Selby College also has excellent local employment links and connections. We offer internal Higher Education progression and we also provide planned external University trips.
Our Guidance and Support Tutors offer interview, CV and job application advice. We follow the Gatsby Benchmarks to ensure we provide guidance that inspires students and enables them to make informed decisions.
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from careers and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each student
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with Employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal Guidance
To see the full Gatsby Good Careers Guidance Report (2014), follow this link.
We value the importance of trips and experiences. We arrange UCAS Fair trips and university visits. We also have several visitors to the college, including University representatives, the armed forces, and we host careers fairs at the college with local businesses.
Open Event Dates:
- Saturday 19th October 2019, 9.30am – 12noon
- Monday 11th November 2019, 5.30pm – 8.00pm
- Saturday 1st February 2020, 9.30am – 12noon
- Monday 29th June 2020, 5.30pm – 7.30pm
If students would like to discuss careers, they can contact their GST in the first instance. From there, students can arrange appointments with our Careers Advisers. Alternatively, students can attend 'Drop In Sessions'.
Drop in Sessions:
Visit Reception. Drop In Sessions available every Tuesday Lunch from 12pm -2pm.
Careers Lead Contacts:
- National Careers Service - The National Careers Service website provides careers advice and information on a wide range of jobs, training course resources and funding.
- www.healthcareers.nhs.uk - NHS careers
- UCAS - Find universities and colleges using Where to study.
- Apprenticeship Website – Apprenticeship information, advice and vacancies
- Selby Job Centre - Link to Job Centre Plus in Selby
- Ethnic Jobsite - Bridging the gap between employers and ethnic minorities in the UK.
- Prospects - The UK’s official graduate careers website, 1,000’s of jobs and courses