-Welcome to the Hospitality & Catering Department
Level 2 VRQ Diploma in Professional Cookery
Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in Professional Cookery
In 2019 we achieved a 100% pass rate across our Vocational programmes.
Our News Stories
What kind of environment will I learn in?
Equipped with fully-functioning kitchens, restaurant and bar, you will learn and work within the College’s award winning Hospitality and Catering department. Students gain hands-on experience by preparing and serving a range of delicious dishes on the restaurant’s menu.
The College’s Chef School inspires young Trainee Chefs to start their journey of discovery, looking for exciting new ingredients and recipes and working across a variety of hospitality roles.
Our Student Successes
Former School: Brayton High School
Studied: Hospitality and Catering
Following his studies at Selby College, Hospitality and Catering student Kurtus Auty landed his first job at Gordon Ramsay’s Mayfair restaurant Maze as Demi Chef de Partie, before heading to the Michelin star restaurant Pétrus in Knightsbridge. Kurtus also worked for the chef in Bordeaux, France at Le Pressoir d’Argent.
Three years after leaving Selby College, Kurtus, 21, has most recently been working at London restaurant Pucci in Mayfair as Head Chef. Kurtus also appeared in the 2019 series of BBC Two’s MasterChef: The Professionals.
Other students have progressed to:
- Ex Catering student Holly Lee is now also working at York based restaurant, Roots, which is owned and run by Michelin Star Chef Tommy Banks.
- Archie Moore has gone on to become a Chef at the 5* Grand Cedar Court Hotel in York.
- Ex-student Helen Lindley has now moved on to the University of Sheffield to study Pastry and Confectionary.
- Some students have progressed on to an Apprenticeship, employment, management or further or higher education.
Trips and Visits
Previous Hospitality and Catering students have had the opportunity to go on some tasty trips and visits to:
- House of Townend beverage supplier Yorkshire Sculpture Park
- Lincoln and York Coffee Manufacturer
- Star at Sancton, York
- Star Inn the City, York
- Saltmarch Hall, York
- The Grand Cedar Court Hotel, York