The VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy is a technical level qualification aimed at developing the knowledge, understanding and technical skills needed for a career as a Sports Massage Therapist, either employed or self-employed. This qualification has been specifically designed for the 16-19 and 19 plus age group and is based on the national occupational standards for massage, namely CNH1, CNH7 and CNH20.
This qualification was developed collaboratively with the following organisations; Active IQ, Central YMCA Qualifications, CIBTAC, ITEC and VTCT with input from the industry through the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) and the General Council for Massage Therapies (GCMT).
September 2020, date TBC
The content of this qualification is comprised of all the required elements needed to work effectively and efficiently as a sports massage therapist. This includes anatomy and physiology, professional practice, an understanding of the principles of health and fitness and how to provide sports massage treatments. The level 3 sports massage therapist will be able to work safely and effectively on dysfunctional tissue in a range of context, to include, pre-event, post event, intra-event and for maintenance purposes.
The structure of the qualification is comprised of 5 units which are all mandatory*
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- Principles of health and fitness
- Understand the principles of soft tissue dysfunction
- Professional practice in sports massage
- Sports massage treatments
*units may change year on year
This qualification will be delivered, assessed and assured in line with the:
- CNHC code of conduct, ethics and performance
- Skills for Health's QCF assessment principles
- VTCT assessment guidance and evidence requirements
Learners who complete this qualification will be able to gain employment and obtain insurance to work as a sports massage therapist.
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy
- VCTC Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training (Gym-based exercise)
The course fees for 2020/21 are £2225. If you are aged 19 or over, an Advanced Learning Loan may be available.