The Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing is at level 2 on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF).
15 weeks, on a Thursday 18:00-21:00 at Selby College
September 2020, start date TBC
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
- The course requires physical exertion, and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
- Learners aged 16+.
- Learners wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as gym-based fitness instructors.
Please note: 16–18-year-olds may need to be supervised in the workplace, once they have achieved the qualification.
This qualification aims to provide learners with the knowledge and skills to be able to plan, deliver and supervise safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment. During the qualification learners will cover:
- Anatomy, physiology and nutrition and how they relate to exercise and fitness.
- Health and safety in the fitness environment.
- The skills to conduct client and group inductions in a gym-based environment and support exercise adherence and a healthy lifestyle.
- The skills to plan, instruct and supervise safe and effective exercise and physical activity sessions.
- Professionalism for fitness instructing.
- Personal and professional development.
- Delivering exceptional customer service.
This qualification provides progression to:
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training.
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Designing Prenatal and Postnatal Exercise Programmes.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Older Adults.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Disabled Clients.