Selby College originally opened in 1984 and currently employs 240 permanent and temporary staff
- The college provides education and training opportunities for learners aged 14 right up to 70+
- Learners from all over Yorkshire and the Humber travel to Selby College because of its reputation for high quality learning and education
- There are approximately 1,500 16-19 year olds and 3,000 learners aged 20 plus
- 120 of our learners are currently studying for Higher Education 'Degree' Level qualifications
- 330 learners are studying for 'A' Levels
- 4,250 learners are studying for work-related vocational qualifications
- There are approx. 60% more female learners to male (2,858 female learners compared to 1,763 male learners)
- The college began a comprehensive building programme in 2003 pulling down some of the older buildings used by the Secondary School that previously occupied the site, and replacing these with brand new buildings
- Selby College is an Associate College of the University of Hull and delivers Higher Education Foundation Degrees and other courses
- Selby College also provides training through its out reach centre, called the 1811 Building, in the town centre.
The building programme
The £4m Academy building was completed in September 2004 and houses the majority of the college's 'A' Level provision as well as excellent IT facilities and interactive whiteboards.
The £2m 2½ storey Renaissance Building houses the Art, Design and Fashion and Health and Social Care Departments, as well as a learndirect Centre on the ground floor. It was completed in March 2006 and officially opened in June 2006.
In August 2007 the Learning and Skills Council awarded Selby College £26 million to create a signature teaching and administrative building, sports hall, engineering and construction workshop, science labs, hair and beauty salons, a spa and refectory. Work was completed in 2010 and the site was officially opened in Spring 2011. A sports challenge pavilion was added in 2013, with changing and toilet facilities for two teams and match officials.