Press Pack


Selby College originally opened in 1984 and currently employs 240 permanent and temporary staff

  • The college provides education and training opportunities for learners aged 14 right up to 70+
  • Learners from all over Yorkshire and the Humber travel to Selby College because of its reputation for high quality learning and education
  • There are approximately 1,500 16-19 year olds and 3,000 learners aged 20 plus
  • 120 of our learners are currently studying for Higher Education 'Degree' Level qualifications
  • 330 learners are studying for 'A' Levels
  • 4,250 learners are studying for work-related vocational qualifications
  • There are approx. 60% more female learners to male (2,858 female learners compared to 1,763 male learners)
  • The college began a comprehensive building programme in 2003 pulling down some of the older buildings used by the Secondary School that previously occupied the site, and replacing these with brand new buildings
  • Selby College is an Associate College of the University of Hull and delivers Higher Education Foundation Degrees and other courses
  • Selby College also provides training through its out reach centre, called the 1811 Building, in the town centre.

The building programme

Phase 1

The £4m Academy building was completed in September 2004 and houses the majority of the college's 'A' Level provision as well as excellent IT facilities and interactive whiteboards.

Phase 2

The £2m 2½ storey Renaissance Building houses the Art, Design and Fashion and Health and Social Care Departments, as well as a learndirect Centre on the ground floor. It was completed in March 2006 and officially opened in June 2006.

Phase 3

In August 2007 the Learning and Skills Council awarded Selby College £26 million to  create a signature teaching and administrative building, sports hall, engineering and construction workshop, science labs, hair and beauty salons, a spa and refectory. Work was completed in 2010 and the site was officially opened in Spring 2011. A sports challenge pavilion was added in 2013, with changing and toilet facilities for two teams and match officials.